The latest unified communications (UC) systems provide a multitude of voice, messaging and collaboration tools across the IP data network. UC systems are proven to deliver real business benefits — but only if the data network is equipped to support them.
Because most IP networks were designed for “best effort” delivery, the data packets that traverse them are frequently subjected to traffic and routing problems that delay their arrival at their destination. Users seldom notice data traffic delays unless they are significant. However, the human ear is able to pick up even the slightest delays in a voice call. Such issues are even more pronounced in a videoconference.
The biggest problems faced by voice over IP communications are packet loss, latency and jitter. All are related to the speed and order of delivery of data packets. As the name implies, packet loss occurs when packets do not reach their destination at all, while latency and jitter occur when packets arrive out of order or at uneven intervals that cannot be offset by buffering.
The good news is that all of these problems are correctable. However, if they are not discovered early in the process they can impact the timetable, budget, even feasibility of the UC implementation.
IPC’s network validation and readiness assessment services help ensure that the data network can support the UC implementation. Our experienced engineers will analyze bandwidth demands, switching and routing capacities, firewall settings, cabling and many other factors that can affect the delivery of voice and video packets.
- Network Design Validation. Ensures that the customer’s network design follows best practices and can successfully carry VoIP traffic.
- VoIP Readiness Assessment. Simulates VoIP traffic to actively test performance and Quality of Service across the LAN, private WAN and carrier network.
- WLAN VoIP Readiness Assessment. Actively tests Wi-Fi data network coverage and performance, and provides comprehensive analysis and recommendations for configuration changes.
In many cases, a network validation or readiness assessment reveals that a network refresh or upgrade is required. IPC provides end-to-end professional services encompassing the design, implementation, configuration and testing of the wired and wireless network infrastructure.
- Network design following proven best practices
- Selection of new networking equipment
- Identification of existing equipment that must be replaced or reconfigured
- Implementation of switches, routers, firewalls, WLAN access points, MPLS and SIP trunking
- Configuration for VLANs and redundancy
IPC’s professional services are designed to help customers gain maximum advantage from their technology investments. These services are delivered by consultants and engineers with years of experience and industry-leading expertise in key data center and communications technologies.
Because telephony and videoconferencing applications have greater network overhead than email and instant messaging, an IP phone system may require upgrades to improve bandwidth and performance. A poor network design could negate many of the benefits an organization expects to realize from UC.
IPC offers a suite of data network services that help customers gain maximum advantage from their on-premises and cloud-based UC solutions. From assessment and validation to professional services and ongoing support, IPC’s network services ensure that the IP data network provides optimum performance, Quality of Service and availability to support mission-critical communications.